Collaboration on the homework is encouraged. You may also consult books and published papers, but not old assignments or solutions. If you still get stuck, you can talk to the TA. But you have to write up and hand in your own solutions. Honor code applies!
There will be 7 homework sets this term. Solutions can be accessed only from .caltech.edu IP addresses.
- First problem set: ay101_2015_hw1_20150115.pdf.
Link to the website containing the Gliese catalog: http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/W3Browse/star-catalog/cns3.html.
Link to the reader script for the catalog: read_gliese_basic.py
- Second problem set: ay101_2015_hw2_20150122.pdf.
Link to the template script: polytropic_star_template.py
Lab 2 background: finite differencing, forward/backward euler integration, Runge Kutta integration. Lab_2.pdf
- Fourth problem set: ay101_2015_hw4_20150205.pdf.
Fourth lab: ay101_2015_lab4_20150213.pdf.
Link to template script: lines.py.
Notes from lab session: Lab_4.pdf.
- Sixth problem set: ay101_2015_hw6_20150219.pdf.
Solutions: Ay101_HW6_Solutions.pdf Fifth lab: ay101_2015_lab5_20150213.pdf.
- Seventh problem set: ay101_2015_hw7_20150226.pdf.
Solutions: Ay101_HW7_Solutions.pdf Sixth lab: ay101_2015_lab6_20150220.pdf.
- Eighth problem set: ay101_2015_hw8_20150305.pdf.
Seventh lab: ay101_2015_lab7_20150227.pdf.
- Ninth problem set: ay101_2015_hw9_20150312.pdf.
Eighth lab: ay101_2015_lab8_20150306.pdf.